Thinking of a Career in Drug Safety?
Venue: Eldon Building, University of Portsmouth
Date: 27 Mar 2019
This is a new exciting course that is aimed at anyone who is thinking of a career in drug safety and what it entails (no previous experience in drug safety is required)! The course, taught by leading experts in the pharmaceutical industry who have extensive experience in drug safety, will share their insights and provide advice for the array of career options within drug safety. The course will introduce the importance of drug safety, how this affects patients and what it is like in a patient safety department ‘day-day’. Practical workshops will give delegates an understanding of the on-going and proactive drug safety activities which are taking place in the patient safety departments and the key partnerships with health authorities to ensure that the patients are safe whilst they are taking medicines.
*Please note that the course dates and programme may be subject to change.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in pursuing a career in drug safety can attend this course, no previous experience is required.
Aims of course
- The importance of patient safety and care in relation to the use of medicines
- The importance of drug safety throughout the products life-cycle and how this is carried out in drug safety departments
- Multidisciplinary approach to drug safety and the key partnerships internally within a company and externally with health authorities
- Signal to Risk Management in drug safety creating significant safety information
- On-going benefit – risk monitoring of drugs and the importance of identifying new or changing risks of a medicine and measures taken to mitigate risk and promote safe and effective use
- Insight to an exciting career in drug safety
On successful completion of this course delegates should be able to:
- Introduce drug safety concepts including terminologies, legal and regulatory basics and historical perspective
- Understand the importance of keeping patients safe and the role of patient safety departments in companies
- Explain the integral role of patient safety department in a company and the key partnerships in drug safety, both internal and external
- Understand benefit-risk monitoring of drugs
- Critically explain compliance in drug safety
- Understand what day to day looks like in a patient safety department
- Discuss possible career paths in drug safety
- Importance of collecting safety data and the impact on patients
- Legal and regulatory basics of pharmacovigilance
- Key milestones in pharmacovigilance
- Activities involved in a Patient Safety Department
- Multidisciplinary approach to patient safety (internal and external stakeholders)
- Importance of compliance in drug safety and ‘getting it right’
- Insight into day-day drug safety roles
- Careers in pharmacovigilance and how to succeed in interviews
Cost Per Delegate:
£125 + VAT
Download Course Programme
Click here to download the programme